Family Reunification – International Protection


If a person has been granted international protection, they can make an application to the Minister for Justice for permission to be given for a family member, to enter and reside in the state.

Family Members

The family member of the sponsor can be the spouse, civil partner or child under 18.

If the person who has obtained the international protection permission is under age 18 and is not married, the parents and siblings of the applicant under 18 can apply for family reunification.

It is the duty of the sponsor international protection holder to cooperate fully with the investigation.

It is very important for the sponsor to prove the connection with the family member.


The application to sponsor a family member for family reunification must be made in the 12 month period after you have obtained the refugee declaration or subsidiary protection.

The application is made to the Family Reunification Unit, Immigration Service Delivery, Department of Justice, 13-14 Burgh Quay, Dublin.

A family reunification questionnaire will be sent to you and you must complete it in the notified period.

Grant Letter

If your application is approved, you will be given a grant letter.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.