Family Reunification – C.S.E.P.

Family Reunification – Critical Skills Employment Permit

Guidelines with respect to bringing Non-EEA European Economic Area family members to Ireland are set out in Policy document on Non-EEA Family Reunification.

This policy sets out the rules regarding how family members from outside the EEA area can come to Ireland to live.

A sponsor is the person who has the Critical Skills Employment Permit and who may wish to have family members join them in Ireland. The sponsor is the lawfully resident foreign national who holds the Employment Permit.

Holders of Critical Skills Employment Permits fall into Category A, meaning they are eligible to sponsor applications for immediate family reunification, which can include being accompanied by family members upon arrival into Ireland.


If the sponsor is an EEA European Economic Area national, family reunification applications can begin before earnings accrue.

Financial guidelines will apply when applications for family reunification are being assessed. The income / salary detail of the sponsor will need to be furnished in the application.


Family members of Critical Skills Employment Permit holders can seek immigration permission from immigration delivery from their home country.

Join Family Visa

If the sponsor has a Critical Skills Employment permit, the Non-EEA family member can apply for a visa.

If the family member wishes to come to Ireland for longer than 3 months, are from a visa-required country, they must apply for a long stay join family visa.

The application is completed online.

Register with Immigration

If the family member seeking to come to Ireland has obtained the Join Family Visa, upon arrival in Ireland, it is necessary to register with your local immigration office.

The sponsor and family member should attend the appointment with the immigration officer and have the necessary documents to include, in a marriage, for example, marriage certificate, original passport, critical skills employment permit, evidence of address etc.

You can then seek the necessary Irish Residence Card.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.