General Work Permit Ireland

Persons not from the EEA European Economic Area countries list who wish to work in Ireland, will need an employment permit if they do not hold an exemption.

What is a General Work Permit in Ireland ?

It is one type of work permit and as this is a ‘General Word Permit’ all occupation types can qualify, unless the persons occupation is listed on the Departments published ‘Ineligible list of Occupations’.

This post will give you information about the Applications process, eligibility and family reunification.

If you have any questions about employment permits, we will be happy to help.

General Employment Permit


The person must have a job offer and the employer should be registered with Revenue and may also need registration with the companies registration office.  

The job offer occupation type must not be listed on the ‘Ineligible List of Occupations’ seen here

The employee should have the qualifications, skills and experience for the role.

The job offer remuneration should be at least €30,000 for a General Employment Permit condition requirement.

However this minimum salary sum can be reduced to €27,000 for Non-EEA European Economic Area nationals, such as a student, from an Irish third level institution, who has been offered a graduate position role on the Critical Skills Occupations List. The minimum salary sum requirement of €27,000 also exists for a healthcare assistant. The minimum salary is also €27,000 for a non-EEA student, graduated as an ICT professional in the previous 12 months, from an overseas institution. The minimum salary sum is also €27,000 for a job role which requires fluency in a language that is not a country that is a member of the EEA, and where the employment is supported by an enterprise development agency.

50% of the employees in the workplace should be European Economic Area nationals unless one of the exceptions is met.

If the labour market needs test is required to be met, the employer must advertise the position on the DSP Employment/Eures network and in newspapers.

General Work Permit Application

You apply to the Employment Permits Section, Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Earlsfort Centre, Lower Hatch Street, Dublin 2, D02 PW0.

You can apply via the EPOS online platform at

The Departments application processing fees are €500 for a work permit up to 6 months and then €1,000 for a work permit between 6 months to 24 months. If the application is denied, then 90% of the Departments fee can be returned.  


If you are from a visa required country, you will require a visa in addition to the employment permit permission.

Once you arrive in Ireland, you must attend with the local immigration office to furnish the papers to them to obtain your Irish Residence Permit card.

Stamp 4 Permission

If one succeeds in their General Employment Permit application, such permits can issue for up to 2 years.

There is a renewal option and the person should make the renewal application 16 weeks before the current permit expires.

If the person obtains their renewal permit, this can extend permission to a further 3 years.

If the person has completed 5 years of a General Employment Permit, they can seek Stamp 4 permission, whose permission holders can work without an employment permit. This person may also have the option of seeking citizenship via naturalisation.

Family Reunification

Applications for Family Reunification can be made after 1 years residence in the state with respect to General Employment Permits.


It is necessary for a non-EEA national who obtains a work permit to obtain a visa, if visa required. You should furnish your employment permit to the immigration officer at the airport.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about employment permits, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad out-line of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.

Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.

General Employment Permit

Areas of Immigration Law We Cover

Visas Covid 19 related Update June 2021Nurses Work Permits IrelandInvestor Visa
Healthcare Worker – Employment PermitsVisa Permission RenewalSubsidiary International Protection
Reactivation Employment PermitInternship Employment Permit
Deportation Order IrelandGeneral Employment Permit IrelandDoctors Work Permits Ireland
Contract for Services Employment PermitRegistering for Immigration PermissionCritical Skills Employment Permit
VisasCitizenship Application Ireland Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits
Immigration Permissions UpdateEU Citizens RightsAppeal a Visa Decision
Children & CitizenshipTourist VisaTransit Visas
Working Holiday Visa AuthorisationEmployment Permit RefusalInternational Protection / Asylum
Civil Partnership Residence Application Ireland
Family Members & EU Treaty Rights
Identity Card & EU Citizens
Student Visa Ireland
Business Visa Ireland
Application for Family Reunification in Ireland
Parent of Irish Child – Family Reunification De Facto Partner of Irish Citizen -Family Reunification
Family Reunification Ireland – Critical Skills Work Permit
Long Term Residency
Family Reunification G.E.P.
Application for International Protection
Spouse / Civil Partner of Irish Citizen –
Family Reunification
EU Treaty Rights & DescendantsFamily Reunification International Protection
EU Treaty Rights Decision Review
EU Treaty Rights & Civil Partners
EU Treaty Rights & Spouses
EU Treaty Rights Residence CardWork Permits Ireland

Roger Cleary

Need Legal Advice ? No Problem. Contact Us Today !

We help people injured due to negligence* attain restitution to their pre-accident position, as much as is possible, for the pain, suffering & financial loss, by seeking damages from the negligent party on their behalf.