Work Permits Ireland

An Employment Permit allows or permits a non-national to work in Ireland, who would not have permission to engage in work without the permit.

It is important to know an employment permit does not permit residence in the state.

Permission with respect to residence in Ireland needs to be obtained separately from the Minister for Justice.

Regulation of employment permits comes from primary and secondary legislation, such as, the Employment Permits Acts 2003, 2006, 2014 and Regulations of 2017, 2021 etc.

Section 2 of the Employment Permits Act 2003, as amended, requires that a non-national cannot enter or be in employment without a permit and a contravention of the legislation is an offence.

The prospective employee should have the qualifications, skills, knowledge, experience etc. for the role and the role and applicant must be suitably aligned. There must be an offer of employment in writing before the work permit application is made. The employer must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners and a company should be registered in accordance with the meaning of the Companies Acts.

An employment permit if granted, permits the person to work in the employment specified in the application only, and the duration of the permit period will be specified and furnished to the grantee.

Work Permit Types

There are various work permit types in Ireland and we have information posts detailing examples below.

Critical Skills Employment Permit

General Employment Permit Ireland

Healthcare Worker – Employment Permits

Spouse / De Factor Partner – Critical Skills Employment Permit

Internship Employment Permit

Reactivation Employment Permit

Doctors Work Permits Ireland

Nurses Work Permits Ireland

Intra-Company Transfer Permits

Family Reunification General Work Permit

Family Reunification Ireland Critical Skills Work Permit

If you have questions about work permits and the application of the law to the facts, we will be happy to help.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about work permits, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.