De Facto Partner Application of Stamp 1, 4 or 5 Holders

If you are from a visa required country, you will need a visa to travel to Ireland.

You can check if you are from a visa required country here.

De Facto partners have Visa Preclearance requirements you can read about here.

If you require a visa and are a de facto partner of a Non-EEA national on a Stamp 1,4 or 5 this post will give you information about the application process.

A de facto partner includes an opposite-sex partner, a same-sex partner, who is not married or not in a civil partnership with the other person.

If this person wants to come to Ireland to join a partner for longer than 3 months, they can apply for an long stay D visa.

If you have any questions, we will be happy to help.

De Facto Partnership Criteria

A non-EEA country national seeking to remain in Ireland and apply for this long stay D visa should be over 18. If partners are married there is no minimum relationship period needed.

If you are in a de facto partnership, you must be in a committed relationship like a marriage or civil partnership for this family reunification application. Cohabitation for 2 years prior to the application is required.

This family reunification application is a joint enterprise between the applicant and the sponsor resident in Ireland.

De Facto Partner Family Reunification Application

The application is completed by the de factor partner who is seeking permission to reside in the state.

The applicant and the sponsoring partner must be able to show they can financially support themselves without requiring any public funds.

The application is made to the De Facto Unit, Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, PO Box 12695, Dublin 2.

If the sponsor is an Irish citizen, they must have earned gross income not below €40,000 over a three year period prior to the join family application been made.

The application form information particulars require application identity details, passport details, relationship history, immigration history, partner details, child details etc.

You will have to provide documentary evidence of cohabitation for the 2 years, financial statements, any joint banking account information, residence documents, employment documents/study documents if relevant. A committed relationship akin to a marriage must be proved to exist.

The sponsor will likely not be eligible for the scheme if they were already a sponsor in like relationship in the previous 7 years. The non-national cannot avail of this scheme if already obtained this permission type in the previous 7 years.

Visa Decision

If your application is granted, you will receive a Permission Letter from the Immigration Service Delivery.

You and your partner should attend the local immigration registration office to register.

If you obtain this residence permit, and after registering with immigration services, you will obtain an Irish Residence Permit IRP card.

Stamp 4

If the application is granted the person will be afforded Stamp 4 or Stamp 1.

Visa Decision Appeal

If an applicant is unsuccessful in their application then reasons will be furnished to them for the refusal. If an application is refused, the applicant only has a short timeframe to appeal.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about visas, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.