Family Reunification Ireland – Parents

Join Family Visa Application

If an Irish citizen residing in Ireland, or a person lawfully present in Ireland on stamp 1, 4 or 5 wishes to have their Non-EEA parent join them in Ireland, they must apply for a Stamp 0 permission to remain related visa.  

The factual circumstances require the elderly parent to be dependent on the sponsor family member residing in Ireland.  

Evidence of the familial relationship must be proved.  

The parent should have relevant comprehensive private medical insurance.  

The family member sponsor in Ireland must prove they have yearly earnings of sixty thousand after tax if they wish to have one parent join them in Ireland. This increases to seventy five thousand if you are seeking to have two parents join you in Ireland.  

Proof of the financial support between the sponsor and parent is needed.  

If the parent has guaranteed income, same can be possibly used to offset the financial limit requirements.   

Visa V Non Visa Required Nationalities

Here is a document what will assist you to understand if you are from a visa required country.

Persons from a visa required country should apply for a Stamp 0 permission from outside the state, and if you obtain your conditional letter of offer, then you apply for a Long Stay D Visa to the Minister for Justice on the avats platform.

If you are from a non-visa required country, your application can be made while you are in Ireland, but it is preferable if the application is made while you are outside of Ireland.

Stamp 0

Stamp 0 provides for immigration permission to reside in Ireland, but does not give permission to work or operate a business.

Stamp 0 is not reckonable residence for naturalisation and is granted on a temporary annual renewable basis.  

If the application is granted, upon arriving in Ireland, the parent Non-EEA national must register with their local GNIB Gara National Immigration Bureau office.  

Please note EU Treaty Rights is dealt with in a separate post.

If you have any questions about such applications, we will be happy to help. 

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about visas, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.