Registering with Immigration

Any person who is not an EEA/EU/Swiss national who wishes to stay longer for 90 days must register with immigration.

If you are considering travelling to Ireland for longer than 3 months, for example, for a college place etc. you can apply for a Long-Stay D Visa.

Registering with Immigration

Register with Immigration Dublin

If you live in Dublin city or county you must arrange an appointment with an immigration at Burgh Quay Registration Office. Here is the full address :

Burgh Quay Registration Office
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

You can book an appointment online at

Person must furnish to immigration officer :

  • Full name
  • Date of birth plus place of birth
  • Profession or occupation
  • Date, place and mode of arrival in the dsate
  • Address of residence
  •  Photograph of the non-national (which, if not furnished by the non-national, may be taken by the registration officer
  • If in government service, the service concerned, nature and duration of service, and rank and appointments held.
  • Passport
  • Signature and fingerprints if required
  • Other matters
Registration Outside Dublin

If you live outside Dublin you must register with a local An Garda Siochana station.

Irish Residence Permit

A fee of €300 is due for an Irish Residence Permit.

You may not need a residence permit if you are married to an Irish Citizen, are a family member of an EU citizen, for example, but the registration office will inform you if you do not need to obtain such a permit.


If you receive permission to stay in Ireland, you will then obtain a stamp on your passport.

There are various types of stamps, which are :

Stamp 0

This stamp shows you have permission to temporarily stay in Ireland.

You should have sufficient independent means, private health insurance, and not engage in commercial activity for this permission type.

Stamp 1

This stamp is for permission to work in Ireland subject to conditions or not.

You cannot start the job without having an employment permit.

Stamp 1A

This permits a person study accountancy as a trainee and be a trainee accountant in a place of employment.

Stamp 1G

This is for graduate student holders of stamp 2 or 2A. You have permission to look of work.

Stamp 2A

This stamp is for students on full time study also, but whose course is not on the official programmes list.

Stamp 3

Having this stamp on the persons passport indicates the person is permitted to stay in Ireland for a particular period.

This can be for a person volunteering or whose joining a non EEA/EU/Swiss family member or spouse who does have a work permit.

Stamp 4

Having this stamp on the persons passport indicates the person is permitted to stay in Ireland for a particular period to run a business, start a new job, for example.

A person with a critical skills permit may obtain this stamp or a person with an employment permit for five years.

As spouse/family member who joins the person who obtained the critical skills permit may also obtain this stamp.

Stamp 5

This stamp type shows the person has permission to stay in Ireland for an unlimited time period.

Applications for Without Condition as to Time must be submitted to :

Residence Unit 3

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service

13/14 Burgh Quay

Dublin 2

D02 XK70.

You must have 8 years of legal residence in Ireland to obtain this, plus must be of good character, are not a burden to the state, have adhered to previous stay permissions, are legally resident in the state etc.

If a person obtains this stamp, they have a right to work in the state without an employment permit. It does not mean however the person is entitled to a public service.

Stamp 6

This stamp shows you are an Irish citizen with dual citizenship.

Registering with Immigration

Areas of Immigration Law

Visas Covid 19 related Update June 2021Nurses Work Permits IrelandImmigrant Investor
Healthcare Assistants & Employment PermitsVisa Permission RenewalCitizenship Application Q.&A.
Family Members & Critical Skills Employment PermitsReactivation Employment PermitInternship Employment Permit
Deportation OrdersGeneral Employment PermitLocum Doctors Employment Permit
Contract for Services Employment PermitRegistering with ImmigrationCritical Skills Employment Permit
VisasCitizenshipIntra-Company Transfer Employment Permits
Immigration Permissions UpdateEU Citizens RightsAppeal a Visa Decision
Children & CitizenshipTourist VisaTransit Visas
Working Holiday Visa AuthorisationEmployment Permit RefusalInternational Protection / Asylum
Civil Partnership Residence Application Ireland

Roger Cleary

Need Legal Advice ? No Problem. Contact Us Today !

We help people injured due to negligence* attain restitution to their pre-accident position, as much as is possible, for the pain, suffering & financial loss, by seeking damages from the negligent party on their behalf.