Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits

The purpose of this employment permit is to allow a non-EEA (European Economic Area) national work in Ireland whereby the employee is being transferred to an employers Irish branch of the company.

This permit type is for a specific purpose and only applies to eligible positions with applications made to the Department of Jobs, Enterprise & Innovation.

If the working time period is for less than three months, an atypical work permit may be relevant from the Department of Justice.

The basis of the employment is temporary and the holder of the employment permit will not obtain long-term residency rights as a result of it.

It is for personnel who are either :

  • Key personnel earning at least €40,000 per annum
  • Senior management earning at least €40,000 per annum
  • Personnel engaging in a training programme for a maximum of 12 months & with an annual salary of at least €30,000

The foreign national person in a senior managent or key personnel role, must be an employee of the employer for not less than six months before the internal transfer. The employee should have the skills and qualifications for the role.

Key personnel are persons whom have specialist knowledge and have an essential function to the business. Key personnel must have been with the company also for at least 6 months before this work permit type is sought.

It is the Irish company branch that should make the permit applicaton and it should be submitted twelve weeks prior to the jobs start date. If the application is refused and the person wishes to appeal, you must seek a decision review within a short timeframe.

The ‘connected person’ is the entity conducting business in Ireland but whom is a foreign employer. The foreign employer must conduct business operations within Ireland and have a tangible presence here.

Spouses / Dependants / Partners

A spouse, dependant or partner of an Intra Company Transfer Employment Permit will need to apply for their own employment permit, should they wish to do so, instead of obtaining a Dependant Spouse / Partner Employment Permit.


If the applicant is granted the work permit, is visa required, the person will have seek an entry visa to the state. This application is made to the Minister for Justice. If the visa required person has been granted the work permit and a visa, they should have the work permit grant with them to present to the immigration control officer upon entry.

The person upon entry into the state must register with Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about employment permits, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.

Register Company Ireland

The Irish branch company must be registered with the companies registration office and trading. It cannot be just a ‘representative presence’.

Information/ Documents

Payslips of the employee in question should be furnished for the application.

Full detail of the employees remuneration is required.


The administration fee for such a permit is €500 if permit for 6 months or less or €1,000 for permit between 6 months and 24 months. Then between 6 months to 36 months the fee is €1,500.

Entry Visa

If the person obtains the employment permit, the person should obtain an entry visa from the Minister of Justice, if visa required.

Employment Permit

If you obtain the employment permit this is not Residence Permission.

All non-EEA persons who have the Employment Permit must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about employment permits, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.

Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits

Areas of Immigration Law We Cover

Visas Covid 19 related Update June 2021Nurses Work Permits IrelandInvestor Visa
Healthcare Worker – Employment PermitsVisa Permission RenewalSubsidiary International Protection
Reactivation Employment PermitInternship Employment Permit
Deportation Order IrelandGeneral Employment Permit IrelandDoctors Work Permits Ireland
Contract for Services Employment PermitRegistering for Immigration PermissionCritical Skills Employment Permit
VisasCitizenship Application Ireland Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits
Immigration Permissions UpdateEU Citizens RightsAppeal a Visa Decision
Children & CitizenshipTourist VisaTransit Visas
Working Holiday Visa AuthorisationEmployment Permit RefusalInternational Protection / Asylum
Civil Partnership Residence Application Ireland
Family Members & EU Treaty Rights
Identity Card & EU Citizens
Student Visa Ireland
Business Visa Ireland
Application for Family Reunification in Ireland
Parent of Irish Child – Family Reunification De Facto Partner of Irish Citizen -Family Reunification
Family Reunification Ireland – Critical Skills Work Permit
Long Term Residency
Family Reunification G.E.P.
Application for International Protection
Spouse / Civil Partner of Irish Citizen –
Family Reunification
EU Treaty Rights & DescendantsFamily Reunification International Protection
EU Treaty Rights Decision Review
EU Treaty Rights & Civil Partners
EU Treaty Rights & Spouses
EU Treaty Rights Residence CardWork Permits Ireland

Roger Cleary

Need Legal Advice ? No Problem. Contact Us Today !

We help people injured due to negligence* attain restitution to their pre-accident position, as much as is possible, for the pain, suffering & financial loss, by seeking damages from the negligent party on their behalf.