Irish Citizenship Application & Dual Citizenship

A foreign national can become a citizen of Ireland through the naturalisation process under the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts, 1956, as amended.

The Minister of Justice has an absolute discretion to grant a person a certificate of naturalisation or to refuse to do same.

Naturalisation is the legal process whereby a non-citizen becomes a citizen of a country.

Dual Citizenship Ireland

If you are a foreign national residing in Ireland and you qualify for citizenship, you can become an Irish citizen while remaining a citizen of another country.

The Irish state does not require a person who applies for naturalisation in Ireland to give up or renounce their origin country citizenship.

Therefore one can hold dual citizenship simultaneously.

A problem can arise, however, for an Indian citizen, for example, when they are seeking to apply for naturalisation in Ireland, as they must not only consider Irish law but also Indian law when it comes to dual citizenship.

Many countries permit dual citizenship and but then many others do not. Also, certain counties only allow dual citizenship by descent as opposed to naturalisation.

It is important for a person seeking naturalisation in Ireland to check if their country of origins state laws / constitution permits dual citizenship.

Once the person has all the relevant information, they can assess their circumstances and then make the best decision for themselves and their family. If dual citizenship is not permitted by the persons state laws, it can be a difficult decision to make, as evidently the person has ties to their country of origin.

It is important also for people to know there are also other possible options available to them in terms of furthering a more secure long-term status position in Ireland to that of citizenship.

Long term residence rights can facilite a more secure legal position in this country for a person considering their long-term options and the following posts will give you preliminary information on the matter.

You can read about long-term residence possible options here.

Stamp 4 – Long Term Residence.

Stamp 5 – Long term Residence.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions EU residence cards, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.