(NCHD) Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors – Work Permits

A non-EEA doctor who wishes to come to Ireland can be eligible for a general employment permit or a critical skills employment permit.

If the employment contract is for longer than 2 years, a critical skills employment permit may be the appropriate work permit to seek.

A recent announcement in December 2021 by the Department of Enterprise may be of benefit to NCHD(doctors).

Now applications for such doctors working in the public sphere can be made on a 2 year multi-site basis instead of the one site location.

There is an exception to this which is a 12 month internship contract.

An NCHD can include a specialist registrar, registrar, senior house officer, senior registrar, intern.

This General Employment Permit can be sought by the NCHD for 2 years. The doctor can obtain an initial Permission to Remain for a 12 month period, and obtain further Permission to Remain for the second 12 month period from ISD Immigration Service Delivery. If the NCHDs employment contract is only for 1 year, it is the responsibility of the NCHD to obtain further employment in the public health sphere.

If the NCHD wishes to obtain employment in a private hospital as opposed to a public hospital, for example, after the initial one year period, the doctor needs to seek a new General or Critical Skills Employment Permit. The new multi-site General Employment Permit for such doctors is for doctors working in public hospitals.  

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about work permits, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad out-line of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.

Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.