Registering for Immigration Permission Ireland

Any person who is not an EEA/EU/Swiss national who wishes to stay longer for 90 days must register with an immigration officer for permission.

A non-national landing in the state, must present themselves to an immigration officer and apply for entry permission. If permission to entry is refused, the non-national must be provided with a document specifying refusal reasons.

If the non-national person arrives in Ireland with a work permit, they must attend with an immigration officer in the area where they reside for registration with Garda National Immigraton Bureau.

If such person comes to Ireland to work, study, join family etc. they will need permission.

Stamp permission numbers are explained below.

If you have any questions, we will be happy to help.

Registering with Immigration

Register with Immigration DublinImmigration Service Delivery

If you live in Dublin city or county you must arrange an appointment with an immigration at Burgh Quay Registration Office. Here is the full address :

Burgh Quay Registration Office
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

You can book an appointment online at

The person must furnish to an immigration officer :

  • Full name
  • Date of birth plus place of birth
  • Profession or occupation
  • Date, place and mode of arrival in the dsate
  • Address of residence
  •  Photograph of the non-national (which, if not furnished by the non-national, may be taken by the registration officer
  • If in government service, the service concerned, nature and duration of service, and rank and appointments held.
  • Passport
  • Signature and fingerprints if required
  • Other matters

Permission Conditions

If permission is granted, an immigration officer can under S.4(6) of the Immigration Act 2004 attach conditions regarding the persons stay.

Permission Refusal

An immigration officer can refuse permission to a person under S.4(3) of the Immigration Act 2004.

If the person has been refused entry, for example, this person must receive notice in writing of the refusal reasons.

Permission Extended or Varied

If you have obtained permission and are seeking an extension of permission, an immigration officer can extend permissions under S.4(7) of the Immigration Act 2004.

Obligation to Register with an Immigration Officer

It is necessary under S.9 of the Immigration Act 2004 to register with an immigration officer in the district local to you. After registration, if there is an change of residence, it is necessary to notify the immigration officer of the change. You will obtain an Irish Residence Card detailing the type of permission you have, if granted. The Irish Residence card will detail the Stamp permission number you have.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about immigration law matters, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.

Registration Outside Dublin

If you live outside Dublin you must register with a local An Garda Siochana station.

Irish Residence Permit

A fee of €300 is due for an Irish Residence Permit.

You may not need a residence permit if you are married to an Irish Citizen, are a family member of an EU citizen, for example, but the registration office will inform you if you do not need to obtain such a permit.


If you receive permission to stay in Ireland, you will then obtain a stamp on your passport.

There are various types of stamps, which are :

Stamp 0

This stamp shows you have permission to temporarily stay in Ireland.

You should have sufficient independent means, private health insurance, and not engage in commercial activity for this permission type.

Stamp 1

This stamp is for permission to work in Ireland subject to conditions or not. It is also permission to operate a business.

You cannot start the job without having an employment permit.

Stamp 1A

This permits a person study accountancy as a trainee and be a trainee accountant in a place of employment.

Stamp 1G

This is for graduate student holders of stamp 2 or 2A. You have permission to look for work under the Third Level Graduate Scheme.

Stamp 1G is provided for 12 months only, unless you have a masters completed, then a further 12 months can be provided.

Stamp 1G can also be obtained by spouses of critical skills employment permits.

Stamp 2A

This stamp is for students on full time study in respect of a course not on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes ILEP.

Stamp 3

Having this stamp on the persons passport indicates the person is permitted to stay in Ireland for a particular period.

This can be for a person volunteering or whose joining a non EEA/EU/Swiss family member or spouse who does have a work permit.

Stamp 4

Having this stamp on the persons passport indicates the person is permitted to stay in Ireland for a particular period to run a business, start a new job, for example.

A person with a critical skills permit may obtain this stamp for 2 years or a person with an another employment permit may obtain this stamp for five years.

As spouse/family member who joins the person who obtained the critical skills permit may also obtain this stamp.

Stamp 5

This stamp type shows the person has permission to stay in Ireland for an unlimited time period.

Applications for Without Condition as to Time must be submitted to :

Residence Unit 3

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service

13/14 Burgh Quay

Dublin 2

D02 XK70.

You must have 8 years of legal residence in Ireland to obtain this, plus must be of good character, are not a burden to the state, have adhered to previous stay permissions, are legally resident in the state etc.

If a person obtains this stamp, they have a right to work in the state without an employment permit. It does not mean however the person is entitled to a public service.

Stamp 6

This stamp shows you are an Irish citizen with dual citizenship.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad out-line of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.

Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.

Registering with Immigration

Areas of Immigration Law We Cover

Visas Covid 19 related Update June 2021Nurses Work Permits IrelandInvestor Visa
Healthcare Worker – Employment PermitsVisa Permission RenewalSubsidiary International Protection
Reactivation Employment PermitInternship Employment Permit
Deportation Order IrelandGeneral Employment Permit IrelandDoctors Work Permits Ireland
Contract for Services Employment PermitRegistering for Immigration PermissionCritical Skills Employment Permit
VisasCitizenship Application Ireland Intra-Company Transfer Employment Permits
Immigration Permissions UpdateEU Citizens RightsAppeal a Visa Decision
Children & CitizenshipTourist VisaTransit Visas
Working Holiday Visa AuthorisationEmployment Permit RefusalInternational Protection / Asylum
Civil Partnership Residence Application Ireland
Family Members & EU Treaty Rights
Identity Card & EU Citizens
Student Visa Ireland
Business Visa Ireland
Application for Family Reunification in Ireland
Parent of Irish Child – Family Reunification De Facto Partner of Irish Citizen -Family Reunification
Family Reunification Ireland – Critical Skills Work Permit
Long Term Residency
Family Reunification G.E.P.
Application for International Protection
Spouse / Civil Partner of Irish Citizen –
Family Reunification
EU Treaty Rights & DescendantsFamily Reunification International Protection
EU Treaty Rights Decision Review
EU Treaty Rights & Civil Partners
EU Treaty Rights & Spouses
EU Treaty Rights Residence CardWork Permits Ireland

Roger Cleary

Need Legal Advice ? No Problem. Contact Us Today !

We help people injured due to negligence* attain restitution to their pre-accident position, as much as is possible, for the pain, suffering & financial loss, by seeking damages from the negligent party on their behalf.