Student Visa – English Language Course

A long stay visa can be sought by a non-EEA/Swiss national who is from a visa required country to come and study in Ireland.

A short stay C visa is issued for up to 90 days but the course in question will likely require the longer stay visa permission.

The English Language Course you wish to enrol on must be listed as an approved course on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes. You will need a letter from the Educational establishment confirming your enrolment on the course plus confirmation the course fee was paid.

Stamp 2

After you have chosen the course and enrolled on an eligible course, if a non-EEA/Swiss national, you can proceed with the application to obtain immigration permission to study in Ireland.

If you have enrolled on the English Language Course and obtained your visa, you can proceed to register with the immigration authorities for Stamp 2 permissions, which lasts for up to 8 months for this course type.

This permission can be extended if further studies on an English Language Course are undertaken by the student on a course listed on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes.

The maximum permissions one can obtain for this course type is 3 permissions totalling two years.

Casual Work

Students with a student visa can work on a part-time basis of up to 20 hours per week.

During the months between June – September this is extended to 40 hours per week.


If you are a student from a visa required country wishing to come to Ireland to study on an approved course, you must be able to prove you have the financial support to live in Ireland.

Medical Insurance

It is very important for the student to have private medical insurance in the event they need medical care while in Ireland. It should cover accident insurance and hospital expenses in the event to an accident or disease occurring while in Ireland.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about visas, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad out-line of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.

Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.