Student Visa – Secondary & Primary School

Student long stay visas for visa required nationals to attend a fee paying secondary or primary school in Ireland can be applied for if the student wishes to come to Ireland for more than three months.


The application to the Department of Justice & Equality is made vis a vis the AVATS online application system and a long stay visa can be sought by such a student. A multiple journey visa, if granted, allows the person travel to Ireland at separate times during the the course of the permission time frame. The applicant will need a letter from the educational establishment confirming acceptance and confirmation school fees have been paid. Evidence of academic ability plus medical insurance is also needed.

You will need detail of your accommodation in Ireland and if the student is attending boarding school, a letter from the school confirming they will provide accommodation is needed.

Course Details / Educational Qualifications

You will need detail of the course details and any educational qualifications to date, therefore it is helpful to have all of this information before starting the application.

Sponsor Details

If you are a student from a visa required country wishing to come to Ireland to study on an approved course, one must be able to prove they have the financial support to live in Ireland, which is evidence of the parental/legal guardian finances.

The onus is on the applicant to prove they have the supportive funds to live in Ireland while undertaking the course or school.

As the student will be under age 18, a birth certificate will be needed to accompany the application. Parental or legal guardian consent is also required from both parents, except if there is a court order regarding sole custody.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about visas, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad out-line of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.

Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.