Turkish Nationals Visa

In 1963 the Ankarra Agreement came into being thereby creating an association between the European Economic Community and Turkey.

Free movement of workers is one provision in the agreement but the agreement did not go into detail to explain how such a right would operate.

Decision 1/80 of the Association Council came into being on the 19th of September 1980 which deals with workers rights between Turkey & the EU, which has been concluded in court decisions to have direct effect.

If a Turkish worker is legally employed in an EU member state, they can obtain renewal of the permit to work after 1 year with the same employer, if the work continues. Stamp 1 permission can be provided in this circumstance.

They also have a right after 3 years to take up an offer of employment with a separate employer in the same occupation. Stamp 4 annual permission can be provided in this circumstance.

They also have a right after 4 years to take up employment with any employer in any type of occupation. Stamp 4 annual permission can be provided in this circumstance.


Applications for permission to remain in Ireland are made to The Residence Unit 3, Immigration Service Delivery, 13/14 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2 and you must provide detail of your personal details, passport details, travel documents history, immigration history, criminal declaration completion, employment history etc.

You should have evidence of your working circumstances, such as, payslips, contract, P60s, Employment Detail Summary forms, evidence of your address, bank statements etc.

Family Members of Turkish Workers

Family members of such workers can gain access to the labour market as per Article 7 of Decision 1/80.

Education Rights

Article 9 of Decision 1/80 states:

Turkish children residing legally in a Member State of the Community with their parents who are or have been legally employed in that Member State, shall be admitted to courses of general education, apprenticeship and vocational training under the same educational entry qualifications as the children of nationals of that Member State. They may in that Member State be eligible to benefit from the advantages provided for under the national legislation in this area.

Immigration Lawyer

If you have questions about visas, you can speak with an immigration lawyer on (01) 546 1121 or  (052) 612 1999.


Please be advised that the above-mentioned material is intended as an overview and as a broad outline of the topic discussed. It should not be considered as complete and comprehensive legal advice, nor act as an appropriate substitute.
Due care has been taken in the publication of this article and we do not accept legal liability as a result of reliance on any material covered in the above article.